Android operated home automation using Bluetooth device is a good combination of mobile technology as well as the embedded system. The user can manage Home appliances using Android device by installing on his/her Android mobile phone to control different home appliances. The user can send control signals using that application. This project comprises a Bluetooth receiver, which is connected to the circuit and it has a decoder. This decoder sends a code for the individual signal sent by the user. Then the particular load connected to the circuit will be activated depending on the signal given. At the output side of this project, we have connected 5 relays and a buzzer as a load.
Remote Operated Home Automation by Android Application
The proposed system can be designed to activate electrical loads using an Android application. This system controls electrical loads based on the information transmitted from the Android device. Remote operation can be done by any android based device upon a GUI (Graphical User Interface) based touch screen operation.
The hardware and software requirements of this project include 8051 series microcontroller, Bluetooth device, relays, relay driver IC, crystal, resistors, capacitors, LED, diodes, transformer, voltage regulator, lamps, Keil compiler, language: embedded c or assembly, and Android application.
It is a smaller computer; it has on-chip RAM, ROM, I/O ports. The features of this microcontroller include the following.
- Compatible with MCS®-51 Products
- 8K Bytes of In-System Programmable (ISP) Flash Memory
- Endurance: 10,000 Write/Erase Cycles
- 4.0V to 5.5V Operating Range
- Fully Static Operation: 0 Hz to 33 MHz
- 256 x 8-bit Internal RAM
- 32 Programmable I/O Lines
- Three 16-bit Timer/Counters
- Eight Interrupt Sources
- Full Duplex UART Serial Channel
- Interrupt Recovery from Power-down Mode
- Watchdog Timer
- Dual Data Pointer
What is an Android?
- Android is an open-source operating system which means that any manufacturer can use it in their phones free of charge.
- It was built to be truly open. For example, an application can call upon any of the phone’s core functionality such as making calls, sending text messages, or using the camera.
- Android is built on the open Linux Kernel. Furthermore, it utilizes a custom virtual machine that was designed to optimize memory and hardware resources in a mobile environment.
- An android app is meant for phones with an android based operating systems. They can be downloaded from the Android app Market which is pre-loaded on every android phone.
- Blue control APP and Bluetooth SPP APP are some examples.
- It is very customizable, the open source operating system is easily changed, hacked, manipulated, and molded to fit whatever functionality you had in mind. Found on all platforms for all prices depending on what hardware and software version you are interested in. The battery is usually replaceable.
- The Android platform includes support for the Bluetooth network stack, which allows a device to wirelessly exchange data with other Bluetooth devices.
- The application framework provides access to the Bluetooth functionality through the Android Bluetooth APIs.
Features of Bluetooth
- Super simple and easy way to interface using Bluetooth stack.
- 3.3V Device with standard 5V DC Power source.
- Can also support SPI Protocol, pins are made available.
- Low power consumption, Low cost.
- Has high-performance wireless transceiver system
- Can be used to interface with PC, Mac or Android phones/tablets.
- Generic Default Visibility at Software side: HC-06 or Linvor
- Default Pairing code is not ‘0000’ but ‘1234’.
- Please use Baud Rate with 8-N-1 connectivity from another device.
- Works with any microcontroller with Serial connectivity.
It is an electromagnetic switch, used to control the electrical devices. Copper core magnetic flux plays the main role here.
- The relay’s switch connections are usually labeled COM, NC, and NO:
- COM = Common, always connect to this; it is the moving part of the itch.
- NC = Normally Closed, COM is connected to this when the relay coil is off.
- NO = Normally Open, COM is connected to this when the relay coil is on
Relay Driver (ULN 2003)
- ULN2003 is a high voltage and high current Darlington transistor array.
- It consists of seven NPN Darlington pairs that feature high-voltage outputs with common-cathode Clamp diode for switching inductive loads.
- The ULN2003 has a 2.7kW series base resistor for each Darlington pair for operation directly with TTL or 5V CMOS devices.
- Current, Output Max:500mA
- Voltage, Input Max:5V
- Voltage, Output Max:50V
Working of Project
The power supply consists of a step-down transformer 230/12V, which steps down the voltage to 12V AC. This is converted to DC using a Bridge Rectifier. The ripples are removed using a capacitive filter and it is then regulated to +5V using a voltage regulator 7805 which is required for the operation of the microcontroller and other components.
This home automation project is designed to control electrical loads using an Android device. The system controls electrical loads depending on the information transmitted from the Android device. Operating usual wall switches is hard for aged or physically handicapped people.
The proposed system can be used to solve the problem by connecting home appliances to a control unit that can be worked by an android application. Remote operation can be done by any android based device upon a GUI (Graphical User Interface) based touchscreen operation, interfaced to the 8051 family microcontroller.
The inbuilt program in the microcontroller serially corresponds with Bluetooth device to produce particular output based on the input data to function a set of relays through a relay driver IC. The loads are interfaced to the control unit through the relays.
This project can be used in the accessible household area for either controlling the loads through conventional switches.
Thus, this is all about remotely operated home automation by the android application. We hope that you have got a better understanding of this concept. Furthermore, any queries regarding this concept or to implement any electrical project please give your valuable suggestions by commenting in the comment section below. Here is a question for you, what is meant by home automation?